Friday 17 February 2023

My Final Flight

I got up like any other day, 

Felt the sunshine as I lay,

Greeting my cattles, birds and dogs,

Heard my sons’ travelogues.


Reliving my bright, younger years; 

Of pomp, of pride, of style, of beers. 

Didn’t quite realise my wife on errand,

Better get ready like any legend.


How I enjoy catching up with my wrinkle clan! 

To laugh out loud, to pour my heart out, 

To share the little joys, to ease the abandoned pains,

Do you count the number of days?


The clock struck 6, sunset in 

Felt a curious head spin. 

Did someone call me out? 

I decided to give the benefit of doubt.


Drove towards home after an eventful soiree 

Little did I know that would be my last Saturday 

Would never see home again; 

My land, my family, my life mundane 


The truck carried everything away, 

I couldn’t get up like any other day 

Felt ripping pain as I lay. 

Flashing memories came all the way. 


Angels descended upon me,

They took me on my final flight.

With no passport, no baggage, no security check,  

Just a grateful soul to meet my father in heaven.


Quickly I send a message before I go on airplane mode forever,

“Laugh as we always did. Do not weep at my grave because I am not there. I have lived so well and have no regrets. 

Go find me in everyone’s smile, find me in the sea waves, find me in the sunshine, find me inside you.”

And here I am logging out and signing off from my journey called life. 

I will see you on the other side. 


In the memory of my father-in-law, who really lived so well. 

20 comments:

  1. Heart wrenching, Anji....Rest In Peace, uncle! Hope you are happy, wherever you are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, RIP uncle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears in my eyes!! Love the way you have written Di.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful life … and u have written it so nicely that it eases the pain Anju .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really heart touching!
    We will miss his warm smile and love! May the departed soul through the mercy of God rest in peace ๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heart touching words... May God rest him in peace๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  7. I teared up reading this. May his soul rest in eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heart wrenching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heart touching ๐Ÿ’ Rest in peace uncle๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. RIP Uncle! Condolences Anju and Jins

      Delete
  11. Heart touching ๐Ÿฅฒ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heart touching❤️Let his memories give happiness, strength and moments to cherish ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heart touching๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Featured post

Until We Meet Again!

It was the last day in the city, the place where I grew up and her 1 st day at work. She came running down to bid her final lines of fa...